Suffering With Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder? A Few Treatments That May Help

7 December 2017
 Categories: Health & Medical , Blog

Persistent genital arousal disorder (PGAD) is a very real, physical disorder that is nothing to be embarrassed about. It is just one disorder in a group that is labeled "chronic pelvic pain." Approximately 30 million women in the United States suffer from at least one disorder from the group. If you find that your body is suddenly, with no explanation, exhibiting signs of sexual arousal, you may have this problem. If the arousal is such that it is painful, it is time to consider your treatment options.

Things You Can Do At Home

When the pain has started and is making you uncomfortable, try applying ice to the area. While the pain may start shortly after you remove the ice, it is at least some relief and the pain may not be as intense for a while. This could be a good option when you need to be able to concentrate on anything besides the pain. It can be done quickly and privately. You can go anywhere with access to ice and a restroom. You should also start doing regular exercises that focus on improving the muscles in the pelvic floor. Wall squats, jumping jacks, and bridges are good examples of these exercises.


While PGAD is a pain disorder and not a mental health issue, the pain and uncomfortableness can lead to anxiety and depression. Talk with your doctor about the issues you are having. He or she may prescribe something to help with the pain as well as a prescription to help with any emotional issues the pain causes. You may simply need to use a numbing gel on the area, because of the location, it would be best to use a prescription gel instead of one you can buy over the counter. However, using one from the local pharmacy can be used if necessary.


If the doctor finds that there is a problem with your bladder that is causing PGAD, surgery may be needed to correct it. If the problem is being caused by the nerves, they can be treated surgically as well.

Any type of persistent pelvic pain should be discussed with your doctor. PGAD can be debilitating if left untreated. You do not need to go through life embarrassed or in pain. While it might take some testing to get to the root of the problem, your doctor will help you remain as comfortable as possible until a permanent solution can be found.